Thursday, August 14, 2008

More on Intervention

As you all know, I'm an enormous fan of the A&E show Intervention (which was nominated for an Emmy, truly deserved). I just watched an episode that kind of blew me away (most of them do, but this one was... WOW).

One thing I've noticed about Intervention is that 95% of the addicts had some kind of childhood trauma. Every once in a while you'll get the guy who just started partying in high school and didn't stop. But usually it was something that really messed them up. Probably half or more of them were molested.

The addict on the episode I just watched was Allison. She and her sister were molested when they were really little, like 5 and 3. She was so unbelievably messed up, I really didn't think there was any chance for her. She was addicted to inhalants, cut herself, and was anorexic.

I won't tell you how it turns out because I want you to watch the episode instead. Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EFb_SeXjg


When I went to the taping of Intervention After Treatment, Jeff Van Vonderen said something that I cannot forget: "Hurt people hurt people." Is that not true, simple and profound?

I'm not sure that people who hurt kids realize how enormous of an impact they have on the rest of the kids' lives. I have an idea to make a website that pervs would find when googling, but then when they get there it's actually this episode of Intervention. I'd do it if I didn't think I could get arrested.

In a happy footnote, one of my best friends just (as in, while I was writing this post) got hired to work on the show. Yeah!!

So please watch it, think about it, and if you are one of the "hurt people" break the cycle!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is VERY Scary..... and what a earth shattering thing