Friday, September 28, 2007

China

I spent a week in China and it was amazing. The highlights:
- Went to the silk market - three times! Got "Louis Vuitton" watches, a "Custo" dress, "Puma" shoes, two adorable but flimsy "Anya Hindmarch" bags, some actually real jade and silk, and tons of pearls... Here's a pic of the first day of purchases. By day 3 the entire bed was covered!



- Climbed the Great Wall. Jeez! I never realized how steep that thing was. I don't know any of the people in the first pic, but look how steep these stairs are!!





- The food at the hotel was excellent, and I also ate at one great restaurant. But on the street, there were some terrifying treats. Like these steamed scorpions - some of which were STILL WRITHING. They also had crickets and starfish. Yikes.



- Have you ever heard of the Empress Dowager CiXi? Well I hadn't but after a visit to her Summer Palace, I got curious and read about her (okay, googled). She was quite an intriguing character. Here I am at her palace, sorry the quality isn't grand.



- I tried Tai Chi. As you probably know, I am highly uncoordinated, so I'm not quite a master yet. I even got this ultra easy move wrong (compare my hand position to the masters')!! But it was a lot of fun.

No comments: